Thursday 26 June 2014

Baby Food: Store Bought or Homemade?

I thought a lot about this topic on buying food or making my own. I felt that people would judge me if they saw me feeding my baby some apple and pear dessert from a store bought jar of baby food. 
But then i felt that people would judge me if they saw me making home made baby food and freezing it.

You can never win when it comes to the Elders in the family on what is good or bad for YOUR baby. That's how I came to the realisation that MY son is MY baby. He is the one Human being on this Earth that I have control over, so if I felt like making home made baby food then that was what I would do.

I Googled my way through all the ways on making my own baby food and what was good and bad to feed my son at different stages of his growth.

That's where i came across the BabyBullet. It's a tiny food processor that comes with two blades. A milling blade, that mills rice and grains, and a normal blade, that processes steamed or boiled meat and veggies and fruit. If you want to see more about this product Click Here

When i started feeding him his first foods (banana, apple, peas, zucchini, sweet potato, pear, etc) it would be one fruit of vegetable for four days then i would move on to the next fruit or vegetable . I did that for the first month, and now i mix and match anything together. Just to make sure, i would still feed him a new fruit or veggie on its own for four days then I would add it to a new meal.

When we go out I just go to the store and get some baby food. because I'm worried my frozen/defrosted food could go out or sour because i can't control the temperature. I am making my life easier for myself by doing this. 

But one thing i could say about this topic is that here in Cape Town, things are expensive. especially a small jar of baby food from the store. and if you want it to be organic (like i do) then its even more pricey. making my own home made baby food is much cheaper. that one jar of baby food (which has a expiration date of 24hours) could make a weeks supple of homemade baby food. which i could keep in the freezer and defrost if i needed it!!
carrot puree










Making baby food for my son also gives me something to do around the house that makes me feel important. being a housewife is quite monotonous at times. especially when you don't have a car to just go to the park or visit a friend. 

His first tastes always go something like the photos I've added!!

xxx