Sunday 3 August 2014

Recipe: Vegetables with a cheese sauce

I decided to try something new for Zakariya to eat. I needed to introduce Zakariya to green vegetables and also a bit of dairy.

Note: you can add as much as you want. Im going to just write down the ingredients I used to fill the 6 Batch Tray that came with my Baby Bullet.




Ingredients:
- 2 small carrots
- 70 grams broccoli
- 110 grams peas

First I boiled my chopped up carrots in the pot for 8 minutes. then added the broccoli for 5 more minutes and my peas were in for about 2minutes. you know when the veggies are done by the bright colours they turn.

I then made a cheese sauce. This is a basic cheese sauce one would make for an adult, but for those who don't know how or what that is I've added my method.

Ingredients:
- grated cheddar cheese
- a bit of grated parmesan cheese
- milk
- flour
- butter (salted or unsalted)
- tiny pinch of pepper

I used Salted butter because honestly, the Unsalted butter is a crazy amount of money. Its like R20 more than the salted butter. I don't understand why but the price was a big factor in my decision.
Also I never add any extra salt in his food or my own when using the salted butter.

Anyway, I melted the butter in a new pot. Once melted i added my flour. combined the two together then added my milk. Stirred the milk until it was a little thicker and smooth. I removed it from the stove once the milk started to bubble. I then stirred the grated cheese and parmesan until it disappeared into the sauce. lastly added the pepper for taste.

I mixed the veggies and the sauce together and blended it all together with the hand-blended. For this meal I didn't use the Baby Bullet because the food was still to hot and the hand-blender was much easier for this. 

This meal was so tasty, I actually swallowed a few spoons!!










While all this was going on I cut up a few slices of apple and let Zakariya play around with it.

He's so cute

xxx